The United Nations Foundation is seeking a talented, policy-savvy writer to serve as Speechwriter and Director of Executive Communications for the President and CEO. This role will work directly with the President and CEO as a thought partner and writer to support her speeches and external written communication, focusing on speaking engagements, op-eds, blogs, articles, statements, and related external communications. The role reports to the Chief of Staff and will work especially closely with the Head of Policy Planning and with the Chief Communications Officer and Public Affairs team, including on editorial activities as they relate to the public voice of the President and CEO. The successful candidate will have a strategic appreciation for diverse and international audiences, versatility across the issues we work on, exceptional writing and strong research skills, and, ideally, experience supporting an executive.
- Conceptualize, research and write speeches, blog posts, op-eds, statements, and other content to support the work of UNF’s President and CEO.
- Shape, draft, and edit material for President and CEO speaking engagements
- Work closely with other UNF leaders to craft thought-leadership content for the President and CEO on issues of interest or concern.
- Assist with editorial planning, content creation, and message development.
- Assist with development and execution of communications plans, including media, digital, and editorial components.
- Help build social media presence of the President and CEO
- Support other overall communications needs of the President and CEO and wider Foundation as needed
- Exceptional writing, editing, digital, and research skills, with passion for words
- Speechwriting experience
- Intellectual confidence and ability to quickly earn confidence of senior leaders, with experience crafting executive and senior leadership communications a plus
- Excellent internal communication skills, and the ability to collaborate with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated knowledge of the UN, global issues, the SDGs, and an understanding of UNF’s mission, strategy, and goals.
- Highly organized, with attention to detail, adherence to deadlines, and ability to work under pressure with multiple, shifting priorities.
- Ability to work independently and in teams, as needed
- Excellent knowledge and demonstrated experience with communications platforms including opinion outlets, social media, and news media.
- Graduate degree or equivalent in international affairs, public policy, political science, journalism, or communications, plus a minimum of 7-10 years of experience in a senior level policy or communications position.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.